TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - new throttle body shaft seal intrest?
People Seeking Info

Subject new throttle body shaft seal intrest?

Posted by mizzuh on November 10, 2014 at 8:18 PM
  This message has been viewed 433 times.

Message during my 60mm throttle body conversion, I have ripped 2 of the shaft seals during removal. after hours of browsing, the only "fix" for this seems to be buying a new throttle body and hoping not to rip the "new" seals while removing them again.

I have also found during a custom pressure test of the original throttle bodies, that anything over 12 lbs of positive pressure, the seals begin to leak. like most owners on here, I run more than that. furthermore, a 20 year old seal isn't something I like re-using.

the test, which involved isolating the throttle body off the vehicle, fabbing up a rear block off plate with seal, and pushing over 15 lbs of positive pressure, showed me exactly what I feared... failure.

This has lead me to inquire with 3 companies about creating a new double lip seal that hopefully exceeds the OEM seal with better materials, and a thicker lip surface to sustain higher boost pressures, while maintaining the OEM metal seal seat.

So the question at hand is, if one of the companies can successfully create a new/better seal, would anyone on here (or promoting companies, CZP, Z1, Ash, Etc) be interested in purchasing or carrying these?

just food for thought.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.